Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Video: The Beatles- I Am The Walrus



I'm not sure what the current consensus is on Magical Mystery Tour. It seems like every few years, people (ok, hipsters and critics) go back and forth on it. Pretentious, nonsensical piece of shit, or brilliant absurdist/surrealist art film?? I tend to fall toward the latter, and on certain days I would be inclined to argue that the Magical Mystery Tour album (especially in its filled out U.S. version, not the original British EP) is a better summer of love/psychedelic touchstone than Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I base a good deal of this argument on this part of the movie: the video for 'I Am The Walrus.' Not only is the song insane and one of the best experimental pop tunes ever written, the bizarre costumes and movements of the Beatles themselves throughout it will become images that remain with you for at least a day or so, wondering how much pot and LSD you would need to come up with something equally fascinating.

No comments: