Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Video: Pixies- Dig For Fire/Allison



I'm sure that somebody will immediately come out and prove me wrong, but off the top of my head, the only time I can think that a band directly linked two videos was the Pixies with 'Dig For Fire' and 'Allison.' Before I had even heard or heard of the Pixies, I happened upon this video late night on MTV once while in junior high. I didn't so much like the songs, but something about the juxtaposition of the two songs and the way the two videos were tied together worked for me.

In 'Dig For Fire' we see the band suiting up in leather, then jumping on motorcycles for a psychedelic/dreamy travel sequence. They arrive at their destination, putting in earplugs and going into a stadium looking building...



..only to reveal that, yes, this is a stadium, and they're here to perform 'Allison' in the empty middle of the field.

Personally, I prefer the video (and song) for 'Here Comes Your Man', but I like the concept behind these two paired videos better. I often find myself wondering what happens to the characters after a music video/novel/videogame ends, and in the case of these videos, you get to find out where they're going.

No comments: