Monday, March 24, 2008

Video: My Bloody Valentine- Only Shallow



I can go either way on performance videos. It's cool to see the band playing the song--or at least miming along to it--but it also feels kind of lazy to me. I mean, if you're going to make an official video, why not have some kind of concept or conceit??

Well, at least in My Bloody Valentine's case, they added a bunch of filters and film noise to approximate, visually, the sound of the album. As novel as it is to see the normally faceless band, it's slightly more interesting that they chose to make a performance video with art film overtones. "We'll let you see us, but only through a haze, because what we look like isn't important here--it's the haze."

I also remember reading somewhere that the iconic cover image for Loveless comes from a still of Kevin Shields' guitar from either this video or the one for 'Soon.' So, there's that.

No comments: