Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Video: The Replacements- Bastards of Young



It never takes long before any form of expression causes/creates a form of expression that's anti- it. Funny, then, that I usually find myself drawn to that anti- force instead of the original.

Case in point, this anti-music video for a Replacements song. I've yet to get around to listening to this band, sadly, other than 'Answering Machine' which an ex-girlfriend once put on a mixtape for me. That said, you've gotta give it up to the 80s forefathers of modern indie rock like the Replacements every now and then. (Speaking of which, Our Band Could Be Your Life is an awesome book). I find this video absolutely riveting because, though it's a mostly static shot of a stereo system, it speaks to me on a level music videos never do. That level being "stop watching the visuals and pay attention to the song." Interestingly enough, many modern YouTube videos for bands are made by users and consist of just the album cover and the song playing. It's piracy, sure, but it also reminds me of what music listeners did before video killed the radio star: they stared at the album cover, or their stereo, or the ceiling, and that was enough.

No comments: