Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Video: Grandaddy- Nature Anthem



Grandaddy are one of those bands that I just plain don't get. They're the sort of indie rock band who release a handful of albums before breaking up. They're the sort of indie rock band who sound a lot like other, better bands--in this case, the Flaming Lips and a more rural, less experimental, American Radiohead. They're also the sort of indie rock band who have a solid 'greatest hits' disc of good material and a whole bunch of fair-to-forgettable crap. So what I don't get is why people seem so enamored with the band. They're merely OK in my book, but even a compilation of their best material still wouldn't excite me, because they're more alchemists than innovators: they take the sounds of great bands they like and put a bit of a spin on it but bring nothing new to the table.

Also, I share a last name with the lead dude, and that's always kind of bugged me because I feel like I'm usually borrowing from others instead of writing things that are original and have their own unique voice.

Anyway, I don't like this video. Or this song. It's an example of the worst tendencies of Grandaddy, to steal from the Flaming Lips and pass it off as their own. For the record, Wayne Coyne may write some clunkers here or there, but he never would write a saccharine ditty about woodland animals. Furthermore, the Flaming Lips usually--usually--save the silly animal costumes for their stage show. Further damning evidence is Grandaddy's 'Now It's On', which is pretty similar both visually and sonically to the Flaming Lips song/video 'Turn It On.'

No comments: