Thursday, April 24, 2008

Video: The Sea and Cake- Crossing Line



The Sea and Cake are one of those bands who, when people ask me to name some of my favorite music, I always forget about. I also usually forget how much I like them until one of their songs crosses my iTunes shuffle or a friend brings them up in casual conversation.

This video is one of those static concept pieces that can either completely work or completely fail. In this case, it works fantastically; The Sea and Cake's music always casts visions of spring and summer afternoons in my mind, and in that regard, this clip is the perfect complement. As the song winds through its carefully planned course, what seems to be a bird overheard follows the camera in a car as it drives around what I would guess is a suburb.

The subtitles for the lyrics are a nice touch, too, because they help reveal how lucid and dreamlike Sam Prekop's lyrics can be. I have to admit, they normally float past me as inconsequentially as an occasional wind gust on a hot summer day, but having them literally spelled out for me has me paying more attention to his lyrics, especially as I re-listen to the underrated Everybody album.

Enjoy.

No comments: