Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Video: Aphex Twin- Come To Daddy



Now, I've never been on acid, so I've never had a bad trip...but I imagine it's sort of like this video.

The more time goes on, and the more of his music I hear, the more I'm convinced that Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin has one of the best senses of humor in the music industry. There's just something about the way the guy operates--from the music and remixes he releases to his sometimes bizarre public appearances to the covers and titles of his albums--which causes me to think this way.

I remain unsure, however, whether 'Come To Daddy' is funny or terrifying. It certainly is creepy, and the stuff childhood nightmares are made of, but it's also kind of funny--from the way the evil-TV-spirit is summoned by dog piss, to the mob of children with Richard D. James masks, to the 'Techno Is' graffiti in the background of one scene. Does the evil-TV-spirit look like the evil guy from Ghostbusters 2 to anyone else??

I like how the "come to daddy" finale looks like the final scene from Close Encounter of the Third Kind where the big tall alien comes out amongst the smaller ones. Anyway, the part where the Richard D. James monster emerges from the TV and screams into the old woman's face is one of those memorable music video moments that everyone should really experience.

If you're ever bored, I recommend watching the rest of Aphex Twin's videos. They're all suitably strange, wonderful, and creepy.

No comments: