Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Oh Sees Retrospective #11: Warm Slime


Is it possible to love something and to simultaneously see the flaws it possesses? I realize this seems like a pretty open and shut case. Plenty of people love so-bad-they’re-good movies or even talk about “hate watching” a TV show. But I think this idea becomes a little more interesting and open ended when you narrow it down a bit. To explain what I’m getting at: people love movies like The Room or Troll 2 not in spite of their incompetence, but because of it. You don’t see anyone talking about the Star Wars prequels as so-bad-they’re-good movies; rather, you see some people dissecting their flaws, even if they admit they get some enjoyment out of the movies. And I am one of those people. I see many problems with the prequels. They possess creative decisions and stories/characters that by turns infuriate me, baffle me, trouble me, and make me imagine how I would fix them. However, I don’t love the prequels and I also don’t hate them. What I do is to ignore the flaws so that I can enjoy them for what they are, for the things in them that are enjoyable.

I was talking to my wife recently about all these ideas and it made me realize, you also can love something while not even needing to ignore its flaws. I unironically love the old Godzilla movies, because I know what they are, and therefore to what standard I should hold them. Compared to other movies, they’re cheesy and have special effects that aged horribly and stupid plots and lame and/or irritating characters. But they’re awesome, in and of themselves. With all of this in mind, I have to come out and say it: I love ‘Warm Slime’ but it’s got problems. The album as a whole I love, sure—that title track though…well, we’ll get to that in a bit. Let’s set the stage, first. Could you help me carry these mic stands and cases of beer?

Warm Slime was released on May 11th, 2010, coming more than a full year after its sonic predecessor, Help. Sure, they put out Dog Poison in the interim but that’s a different animal entirely (pun intended). On a side note, Warm Slime isn’t that much longer than Dog Poison yet it does feel like a completed, satisfying LP. Just wanted to be clear about that after my savaging of Dog Poison for its brevity (among other things). Anyway, I’d encourage everyone to go check out Warm Slime’s Wikipedia page, in particular the interviews/articles listed in the References section at the bottom. There’s a lot of fascinating background information about the recording of this album, from the nitty gritty of how they recorded it to the general vibe of the recording session. The TL, DR version is that the band consciously wanted to capture the energy and force of their live shows, so they rented out a club, day drank beer, and busted the whole thing out in one marathon 12 hour session. No overdubs. They recruited Mike Donovan of Sic Alps to play guitar, and recording engineer Chris Woodhouse banged a tambourine sometimes. They recorded the title track last so that they were drunk enough and warmed up enough to give it what it needed. Their intention with ‘Warm Slime’ was to do their own version of classic long songs they grew up hearing, such as ‘When The Music’s Over’ by the Doors, or more crucially, ‘Yoo Doo Right’ by Can.

Speaking of Can…

While for the most part Warm Slime continues their well-oiled garage rock/psychedelic concoction, it’s the turning point where their krautrock influence became much more overt. You wouldn’t have fan favorite tracks like ‘The Dream’ or ‘I Come From The Mountain’ without ‘Warm Slime.’ Just as I’m starting to feel like Smote Reverser was the dress rehearsal for Face Stabber, ‘Warm Slime’ is a first attempt at doing what we have come to expect from Oh Sees albums. Unfortunately, it also overshadows the rest of the songs on its album. Sure, we all know and love ‘I Was Denied’, but does anybody really remember ‘Everything Went Black’, or think it’s any kind of improvement or progression from Help? I’m not even implying that the second side of the album is bad or weak. They’re fine songs, great songs, even. The “I’m Dracula’s sister!” bit from the opening of ‘MT Work’ is one of my favorite moments on any Oh Sees record. It’s just that the shorter songs on side two pale in comparison to tracks on previous Oh Sees albums, and tracks that are yet to come. Most of all, though, they aren’t as interesting or memorable as the title track. And oh buddy, that title track!

OK. Listen. I said earlier that I love ‘Warm Slime’ but that it’s got problems. Let me begin by saying I love long songs as much as anyone. I’ll use less popular examples, because we all know and love the songs Dwyer referenced as inspirations for ‘Warm Slime.’ At least I hope so; if you have never gotten high and listened to ‘Yoo Doo Right’, you haven’t been living your best life. Anyway, my favorite Frog Eyes song is ‘Bushels’, which is nine minutes long; my favorite album by them is Paul’s Tomb: A Triumph, which has only one track less than three minutes long, and four that are longer than six minutes. I love the Grateful Dead and Phish, known for long jams that frequently go on for 10, 20, in one case 50+ minutes! So it’s not that ‘Warm Slime’ is long, that isn’t its flaw. I love the song yet I’ve come to finally understand why it is I think it’s got problems: it doesn’t have enough ideas or progression to justify its length. But surely, you may be saying, other long Oh Sees songs, are also static and do the same thing for minutes on end? To that I’d respond, do they really? Go back and pay attention, you’ll see that there’s more development, meaningful solos, and a sense of progression, even if it is just from point A to point B.

Often long Oh Sees songs are described as hypnotic, whereas I would describe ‘Warm Slime’ as repetitive and intend that as a pejorative. Sure, they start out in full flight and then around the two minute mark they shift gears from garage rock rancor into a krautrock trance. Sure, they get quiet halfway through the song and build it back up. But again, listen closely to the musical development that’s going on. Petey Dammit plays the same bass note, over and over, and it’s not hypnotic, it’s monotonous. Quite literally, it is a monotone. Doing this with a non-tuned instrument, like, say, a drum works fine. But when it’s a bass, or keyboard, or guitar, or I dunno, a harp, it eventually gets boring and tedious. If you’ve always wondered why ‘The Dream’ is such an amazing song, and why perhaps you, also, like it more than ‘Warm Slime’, this is why. Even setting aside that ‘The Dream’ is shorter, there’s more notes and ideas going on there. The bass line is the anchor of everything; the guitars dance in and out of phase with it, by turns supporting its propulsion with staccato chords and spraying rhythmically detached noise and solo lines over the top of it, like fireworks into the night sky. The bassline in ‘The Dream’ has more notes, has more variance in volume and how much it olds your attention over the course of the song. It’s a heartbeat, and you don’t always notice your own heartbeat, do you? But you know what you do notice, every time, and can’t ignore, and what the ‘Warm Slime’ bassline has begun to make me think of? Something that maybe at first you try to but eventually you can’t ignore, and it gets old fast? Pencils down, any guesses? It makes me think of someone running a vacuum cleaner.

Now, here’s what is so weird for me about writing all of this. I still love ‘Warm Slime.’ I still would consider it, if perhaps not one of the best Oh Sees songs, one of the most essential. How do I reconcile this? Well, it’s like I said at the beginning of this retrospective: you can love something while not needing to ignore its flaws. I fully acknowledge the flaws of ‘Warm Slime’, but when I listen to it, I don’t need to ignore the bassline, or its overall relative lack of development and ideas. To use a non-musical example, I know that MacGruber is a comedy with flaws. But I unashamedly love it, and in order to love it, I don’t need to ignore them. Whenever ‘Warm Slime’ begins, I get a rush of energy and excitement. Fuck yeah, I think to myself, let’s do this! There are precious few things in my life right now that give me this feeling. I don’t want to bring my personal life into this, I’m just trying to demonstrate, ‘Warm Slime’ is a kickass song. Like me, it’s got flaws. But I know that my wife loves me, not despite my flaws, not because of them, but because she loves me, full stop. She doesn’t need to ignore my flaws to think I’m a kickass person. If a song can make me feel like ‘Warm Slime’ does, and I can make my wife feel like how ‘Warm Slime’ makes me feel, who needs to dwell on flaws? We should talk about them, and hope they get better (spoiler alert: they do, Carrion Crawler/The Dream is amazing), but they don’t always, inherently, spoil things. That’s a good place to be in.

So, yeah. Warm Slime is great.

No comments: