Saturday, August 10, 2019

Oh Sees Retrospective #10: Dog Poison


What do you expect when you see something labelled as a full LP, and not an EP or single? Is it only about the length? Is it about how many songs there are? Is it about artistic intent? Let’s consider one of the most famous short albums in history, Slayer’s towering masterpiece, Reign In Blood. At a svelte 28 minutes, it’s significantly shorter than the average LP, which I usually think of as being around 45-60 minutes in length. To me, usually, I think of sub-half hour releases as being EPs. But that’s not really an accurate metric, the more I think about it. Reign In Blood is short, but it doesn’t feel short. It’s a wholly satisfying experience—adding more songs would dull its skull shattering power, and removing any songs to make it an EP would have similar detrimental effects. Why, then, is it that I feel like Dog Poison doesn’t qualify as a true LP? It can’t be because it’s short, because as we’ve established, that isn’t a fair criterion.

Let’s touch on a few other points and maybe we’ll figure it out along the way. Released mere months after Help, Dog Poison came out on September 28th, 2009. I’ve long assumed it was an EP of rough demos based on its production style and length, but it’s very clearly described as a finished LP online. Similar to Help, it’s not on the Oh Sees Bandcamp page and I couldn’t find any information about who plays on it. Wikipedia seems to suggest it was recorded solely by John Dwyer, though given how much flute is on the album this clearly isn’t true. Strangely, the Castle Face website says that Dog Poison came out “after Warm Slime” which also, clearly, isn’t true. You’d think Dwyer’s personal record label would get that kind of easy detail right but then again, they have a lot of good drugs in California. If anybody can contact him and get me hired as his discography guardian, I’d appreciate it. I don’t mind working weekends and I bother to do even the smallest research!

Every Oh Sees album seems to have its defenders and fans, though with Dog Poison I’ve gotten the impression it has the least amount of them all, with the exception of the earliest OCS records. I also get the impression it’s a divisive release, though unlike the similarly divisive Smote Reverser, I haven’t seen anyone say they outright love it or it’s in their top five favorite Oh Sees records. I’ve never really liked Dog Poison; even when I was considering its quality based on my assumption that it was an EP of rough demos/unfinished songs, I still didn’t like it. In fact, it’s the only Oh Sees album I ever bought on vinyl and traded it back in to the local record store. Shocking, no? I simply don’t have a collector’s mentality in the same way some people do. If I don’t like an album, no matter how rare or expensive it is, I trade it in and let someone else enjoy it. Pay it forward, and all that.

OK, so where does that leave us regarding Dog Poison’s status as a non-LP, but-no-really-it-is-a-LP-you-guys? Time to break it down. It’s short and it feels short. Just as I think the two bonus tracks on most releases of Master’s Bedroom make it feel overlong and weaken the listening experience, there isn’t enough of Dog Poison for it to satisfy. What little music there is comes off as things Dwyer threw together in an afternoon when he was bored at home. The lo-fi production style does the songs no favors, muting and muddling the sound such that even when listened to on headphones I can’t tell if it’s Dwyer or Brigid Dawson doing the back-up vocals. It further reinforces the notion that the entire album is slapdash and rough around the edges, but not in the pleasing way that Castlemania is more lo-fi and rough than other Oh Sees releases. I’ve never been the biggest fan of Castlemania but it has something to it that I uncover and enjoy more each time I have revisit it. It’s the one I’m most looking forward to doing a retrospective post on, whereas Dog Poison is something I’m looking forward to being done with. It’s like a birthday party that is somehow boring and depressing when you were expecting fun and entertaining.

Anyway, with far fewer songs than Castlemania, Dog Poison’s weak tracks stand out more starkly, and the production does no favors. The songwriting quality is poorer than it has been since the days of OCS—speaking of, I find Dog Poison to be a regression to the infantile pseudo-folk of those early releases. Other than the use of flute, which is a fun novelty, the music and instrumental playing are frankly kind of boring. Just when he was doing new and interesting things with electric guitars, Dwyer goes back to the acoustic and has seemingly forgotten how to play anything compelling on it other than it being used for rhythmic chording and time keeping. I almost like ‘It’s Nearly Over’ and then that blown out acoustic guitar punches through with no riff or hook or melody to it. All the instruments seem to bleed into each other and get in each other’s way—‘The Fizz’ could be a fantastic garage rock track, if it didn’t sound like it was recorded by the Mr. Mike Voice Changer/Tape Recorder from Toy Story….that was a quarter mile way…that was also soggy from someone spilling their Guinness on it. I’m exaggerating to make a point, of course. I need to make clear, lo-fi production is fantastic when it’s used effectively and sympathetically—you can’t be a Guided By Voices or Daniel Johnston fan if you can’t embrace tape hiss, warping, and amateurish mixing/mastering. We know Dwyer has access to better equipment so Dog Poison’s production is a deliberate choice. A baffling choice that doesn’t work, but a deliberate choice nonetheless.

If it sounds like I hate Dog Poison, it’s only because I hold Oh Sees albums to such a high standard. Even the releases that I don’t like as much as others have something unique and/or endearing about them. So, no, I don’t hate Dog Poison. It’s just…inessential and kind of pointless to listen to it anymore. Oh Sees have 20+ albums to their name(s), to say nothing of all the EPs (which Dog Poison should have been!) and singles. Why waste your time with this dull, dreary, poorly recorded mess?

Alternate/Hot Take/Spinal-Tap-Reference-Review: Dog Poison? More like Dog Shit!

No comments: