Wednesday, January 7, 2009

RIP 1UP.com

Well, anyone who follows games journalism probably already knows that UGO has bought out 1UP.com, fired almost all of the people who made 1UP what it was, and shuttered EGM. I didn't even work there, but this news has made me by turns furious and despondent. I don't want it to be over, but it is. Sure, those people aren't dead, but most of the podcasts I loved are now gone as is a convenient one stop shop for decent games journalism.

1UP was like the last great big media bastion of games journalism. IGN and Gamespot are still around, but IGN has always been garbage and Gamespot has been going down the tubes for a couple years. Now I guess I have to get my gaming news and reviews from Giant Bomb. And, eventually, whatever websites/podcasts the ex-1UP folks start.

Anyway, I think Jeff Green said it best in his recent blog post, so I'll just link that.

Though the staff who remain are good writers, I can't imagine the kind of survivor guilt they must have on top of losing most of their best friends/co-workers. Yes, 1UP.com isn't going away but it's not really the same 1UP.com anymore. And with EGM closing one wonders when the era of gaming magazines will end.

At any rate, this is probably the most fitting send off video I could find for the site:


p.s. Fuck UGO in their most painful area.

No comments: