Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Oh Sees Retrospective #27: Smote Reverser


A wise man once sang, “people change/but you know some people never do.” The paradox of Oh Sees has always been that they're always the same and they're always changing. What this means is that you may go on a two or three album stretch without one you thoroughly enjoy. You may wish they'd return to certain styles that were more prevalent on previous records. You may also ride the waves and change with them, getting at least something out of every release. And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and you may...whoops, sorry. Couldn't help myself. Let's talk about Smote Reverser.

Unleashed from the depths on August 17th, 2018, Smote Reverser was the true beginning of the band steering into heavier prog rock, metal, and jam band influences. It showcased the core modern-era foursome of John Dwyer, Paul Quattrone, Dan Rincon, and Tim Hellman, supplemented by (soon to join as a full time member) Tomas Dolas on keyboards, vocals from Brigid Dawson, and um...'marching boots' by recording engineers Enrique Tena Padilla and Mario Ramirez. There is a credit given to Heather Lockie of 'sampled viola' on 'Last Peace', though I'm not sure if this means it's a sample taken from a recording she did or if they had her play in the studio and sampled that. I'm not familiar with her credited groups on Discogs though her website reveals she's a multi-discipline artist and creator, so big ups to her. Anyway, hardcore completionists and/or record collectors will have their hands full with this album, as it saw four different color variants in addition to the basic black edition. Now, I know not everybody is a fan of the cover art but I think it's dope as hell. I would totally put it on the side of my van. I was psyched when the creature reappeared in the 'Poisoned Stones' music video. It's worth noting that the artist behind the cover, Matt Stawicki, is a longtime fantasy/scifi artist, who has done a ton of book covers as well as (of great personal interest to me) a couple Magic: The Gathering cards.

Smote Reverser is an interesting album to end this retrospective series on, for a number of reasons. First, from reading/watching reviews and forum posts, it seems to be a very divisive record. It has a fairly even split between people who think it's one of the Oh Sees's best and started them in a great new direction and people who think it's overly indulgent and has more bad songs than good. Second, I'm sure people are wondering why I'm not also doing Face Stabber, which is a valid question. As stated in the previous retrospective, my opinion of it hasn't change since I wrote my initial review, and since I have nothing new to say about it seven months later, there isn't much point. Lastly, it's an interesting one to end on because Smote Reverser is one of the releases that my opinion changed the most about since I first heard it. You might say I was smitten and then it was reversed.


Sorry, I know, that was really reaching. Let's dig in.

The first couple listens, I loved it and thought it was a masterpiece. I understood the complaints by people who didn't like it, though I chalked that up to the fact that they didn't vibe with the direction Oh Sees were going in. As time has gone on, though, I see Smote Reverser as more of a mixed bag that averages out to 'merely good.' I quite like some tracks, while others are either underdeveloped or overbaked. We may as well start with 'Anthemic Aggressor', since at twelve minutes long it's the most remarkable track on the record. And I mean “remarkable” in the literal sense, that there's a lot to remark about. Now, I don't dislike 'Anthemic Aggressor' because it's so long. I'm on record as a huge fan of jam bands like Phish improvising for twenty minutes or more, and I'm a founding member of U.H.B.: United 'Henchlock' Boosters. No, to me 'Anthemic Aggressor' is bad because it's simultaneously underdeveloped and overbaked. It's essentially just an instrumental jam session that isn't particularly good. The soloing is often dull and uninspired, and some of the sounds are grating and atonal in a bad away. You can find much better examples on Face Stabber and previously released live albums/tracks of this sort of improv. I also feel like the musical bedrock of the track is one of the weaker repetitive riffs/vamps Oh Sees have ever done. The drumming is spastic, and not in a good way, and the bass is so simplistic it's dull as unpolished shit. I feel like some of the issues I had with 'Warm Slime' are present here, though I'll remind you, I actually like 'Warm Slime', and I almost always skip 'Anthemic Aggressor' when I put the album on. While I'm throwing shade, allow me to darken the doorsteps of 'Enrique El Cobrador' and 'Nail House Needle Boys', two tracks that are pretty weak and forgettable. The latter features a drum/percussion break that is so mundane it almost has to be a joke.

The borderline-frustrating thing about Smote Reverser is that there's also a lot to love, things I want to take out of the shade and to hold up so they can shine in the sunlight. Overall I'm excited by the new metal/prog/jam band direction that Smote Reverser sailed toward. I also delight in Tomas Dolas; he brings a lot to the table and I'm glad he joined full-time after this album. I appreciate how prevalent keyboards have become in the current Oh Sees sound. More importantly, Smote Reverser has some of the band's best material. 'Beat Quest' is a fantastic closing song, emphasizing the dual drummers throughout its runtime and making for a much better drum showcase than the weak breakdown in 'Nail House Needle Boys.' Also have to give some love for the gooey keyboard/synths around the 2:45 mark, as well as how the track starts out melancholy and develops into a jubilant organ-led ending. The other bookend of the record, 'Sentient Oona', perfectly sets the atmosphere for the songs to come, with some great “ooh ooooh” backing vocals from Brigid Dawson and a whipsnap entry into the main riff before it cools down again. 'C', meanwhile, is like Red Lobster's Lobsterfest for people who love crunchy and boogie-ing 70s-inspired guitarwork. Perhaps the biggest surprise is 'Overthrown', which just stabs your face with its heaviness. Unless you have epilepsy, I highly recommend the video for 'Overthrown', especially with the lights off, and especially if you're enjoying some psychoactive substances.

Weak songs aside, I suspect I would still enjoy Smote Reverser as much as I did on first listen if Face Stabber didn't exist. It's hard not to look back on it as a warmup for Face Stabber. To me it does most of what this album does well and does it even better. I'm not at all saying Smote Reverser is retroactively irrelevant or not worth a listen. I have my issues with it, sure, but I still listen to it on a somewhat regular basis when I'm in the mood for Oh Sees. It's totally valid not to share the opinion that Face Stabber is a better version of Smote Reverser; it's got some really strong highlights as I discussed in the previous paragraph. The best comparison I can think of is that Smote Reverser is like taking several different food items from different cuisines and mixing them all together, whereas Face Stabber is like a carefully planned five course meal. It just has so much more variety in sounds and textures and ideas, and all of it works well together and flows nicely. Smote Reverser doesn't flow well, it's more of a stock market graph with ups and downs, screams and laughs.

Kind of like this retrospective series, really.

No comments: