Thursday, October 16, 2008

Video: Bauhaus- Bela Lugosi's Dead



You know, I've always had a slight predilection toward gothic things. Not goths or goth kids specifically, but a lot of our interests overlap and let's just say I wouldn't be unhappy with a girlfriend who identified as 'goth.' Actually, it's probably considered un-cool within that scene to identify as 'goth' or to identify it as a 'scene' but...whatever. I like horror movies, I hate people, I hate conformity, and I like a good deal of so-called 'goth' music and arts.

I've never listened to Bauhaus, though, and hearing this song for the first time has been a revelation. This band obviously likes the Velvet Underground a lot, but the droney and psychedelic undertones of the song also recall the creepier/more experimental works of bands like Can and even Pere Ubu. It's hard not to enjoy this video whatever your taste, if only for the shots of frontman Peter Murphy doing his best to look like a b-movie vampire.

No, I don't know why the audio doesn't quite match up to the video--I couldn't really find an 'official' video for this song, and the original single is like nine minutes long, so...

No comments: